Musings: Hyperbole

Life in a foreign country lends itself to etymological analysis. In Spanish, you don't say me encanta mucho (I love it a lot) because the mere fact that you love it is enough. 

I find that I talk in hyberbole too often. Many times, my hyberbole is connected to social media. Who wants an Instagram caption that says, "Today was was a mediocre day"? 

Jesus says, "All you need to say is simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." Something refreshing about Jesus is his frankness. I adore the way he tells it exactly how it is. That way, when he really wants to make a point, it's clear.

All this to say that I'm going to take a cue from Jesus and paint things as they are, without trying to use my words to shade the truth. I'm going to learn to speak lyrically in the (almost) two languages that I speak so that hyperbole will hardly be necessary.

This is a little jumbled, but maybe it's more honest that way. Share your thoughts?

Share the love,

Taylor

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. I tend to exaggerate when I get really excited about things - it's the way I show my enthusiasm for life and for the grace of God. But maybe it's better just to speak honestly and sincerely. I've always known that if you speak less, people will listen more when you do decide to open your mouth, and that's probably the same with the spectrum of your words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day a little brighter with your lovely words!