Summer Snapshots: The Last of South Africa



 I ended my time in South Africa at the same place where I began, Pretoria.  Most of these pictures are from my final day. I went to the Freedom Museum with my host and her friend. It's a beautiful place the chronicles South Africa's history, starting with a tribal creation story. The apartheid parts of the museum were hard, especially because the women I was with lived through it. In a sense, it catalogued part of their own stories. South Africa, I love you. I hope to see you again soon.
We went on a hike and I must say that these are some of the prettiest thorns I've ever laid eyes on.

Beautiful words at the Freedom Museum


Apartheid all caught up in a net

These are supposed to look like reeds which represent rebirth. 

This is Freedom Park.

The names of people who died in all of South Africa's wars while fighting for freedom. This wall was of people who died fighting apartheid.

The gallery of leaders.

This was my last day in South Africa.

The eternal flame.
Share the love,

Taylor

2 comments:

  1. That park is beautiful! South Africa was never really only my list of places to visit unless my boyfriend started taking classes on South African history. He became really interested in it, which led me to be really interested in people's travels there. I hope that I can make my way there someday!



    And those thorns look unreal. They're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been a real memorable journey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day a little brighter with your lovely words!