Ubuntu


ubuntu

In a month. I'll be in South Africa. Earlier this summer, it felt like a dream that I'd live in an African country for a month. Now all the emotions are starting to hit me. I'm nervous, excited, and helpless in a way that only international travel can create. I so want to control every aspect of my life. (It's a constant struggle that God and I continue to work through.) With international travel, I can't control things. I can research, ask questions, have conversations, but nothing will prepare me for a new culture. That's the excitement of it. I've said all summer that I fully expect God to change my life in South Africa. I have absolutely no idea how but I am beyond excited to find out. I feel like it will all somehow connect with the phrase ubuntu, my favorite South African concept-- a person is a person through other persons. There's a beauty and depth in that phrase that leaves me contemplating it and finding fresh applications every time. I'm sure its meaning will be all the more profound after being contextualized in the culture of its birth. Ubuntu. What does it look like in your life?

Share the love,

Taylor

P.S. In case you haven't heard, I'm officially queen of my own domain! The new address is www.liveandmove.co but if you use the blogspot address, it will automatically transfer you.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time! xoxo

    loveekierramakayla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, how exciting! I definitely get what you mean about being nervous though--when I went to Germany by myself, it was a completely vulnerable and humbling experience. I'm sure you will have an incredible time. You will definitely come back changed :) I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Immersing yourself in another culture is such a rewarding thing!

    Also, I love that phrase. For me, it means that I am a part of the people who love me, and they are a part of me. It reminds me of the idea "it takes a village." So true. We are all united and together in this world, and we impact each other so profoundly--it really embodies what true community is.

    xo,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. It really does take a village. It's like in Ephesians where it talks about the body of Christ having different parts. We all have different strengths that make up a whole.

      Delete
  3. I like that word, too. For some reason, I have the feeling I don't fully understand it now. But that's fine, I have something interesting to think about today... :) I totally understand you when you say you're nervous about your trip (I moved to USA only 5 years ago...), but God will be there with you. Enjoy every moment of your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel! I don't think I fully get it just yet but that's the beauty of it.

      Delete
  4. Hooray! I love this, and that you are going expectant. He will always deliver so much more than you can hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. "Immeasurably more than we ask or imagine"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day a little brighter with your lovely words!